Louis Kemp® Wild Alaska Seafood Empanadas
- 12 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 cup hot water
- 6 tablespoon butter
- 3 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 small red bell pepper, diced
- Sea salt, to taste
- 6 medium tomatoes, diced
- 9 teaspoon dry Mexican oregano
- 24 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 cup Louis Kemp® Super Shreds Surimi Seafood 7929692400
- 2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- Flour for dusting as needed
- Water for sealing empanadas
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Use your favorite chimichurri sauce for dipping
Make the dough: In a large bowl, mix flour and salt. Combine butter and hot water. Pour into dry ingredients, mixing until a shaggy dough forms. Knead until a smooth dough is formed. Wrap tightly and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
Make the filling: Heat a large pan over medium and add butter. Add onions and peppers, cook until onion is softened and translucent. Salt to taste and add tomatoes, garlic, and oregano. Add red wine vinegar and cook until vinegar is absorbed, and the pan is dry. Add surimi, stirring to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Allow to cool.
Assemble the empanadas: Portion out the dough. Roll out and cut dough into 4-inch circles. Spoon filling onto the center of each circle, being sure to drain off excess liquid. Very lightly brush the edges with water and fold the empanada shut. Seal edges well.
Cook the empanadas: Heat vegetable oil to 350°F. Cook until golden brown around the edges. Turn and cook on the other side. Drain empanadas. Serve with chimichurri sauce.