Laotian Crispy Rice Salad with Alaska Rockfish
- 2 cup jasmine rice, cooked
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely grated
- 1 tbsp lemongrass, finely grated
- 1 each lime leaf, minced
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup agave, light
- 1/2 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 3 tbsp roasted hazelnut oil
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 each Rockfish Fillets 4-6 oz IQF, Deep Skinned, Boned 411317
- few pinches salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil
- 2 cup red leaf lettuce, washed, sliced
- 2 cup granny smith apple, diced
- 1 cup rainbow carrots, matchsticks
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 30 each jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fish sauce vinaigrette
- 1 cup crispy rice
- 1/2 cup peanuts, toasted, crushed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped coarse
- 1/4 cup mint or thai basil, torn
Recipe by Chef Jeremy Bringardner
“Rockfish tastes slightly sweet with a delightful nuttiness and clean finish. It's somewhat mild, but with a pleasantly meaty taste and texture that bodes well in an appetizer or bright acidic and highly aromatic salad such as this. It's a great way to start a meal or enjoy as a main course on a hot, summery day.” - Chef Bringardner
For the crispy rice
Cook the jasmine rice according to package instructions. Cool to room temperature. Spread out onto a sheet pan and place uncovered in the refrigerator for 1 hour to dry.
Break apart the rice into ¼" - ½" clumps and drop into a deep fryer preheated to 350° F. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sizzling has mostly subsided, and the rice balls are a light golden color, firm and very crispy. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess grease. Season lightly with salt.
For the fish sauce vinaigrette
Peel and finely grate the ginger with a microplane.
For the lemongrass, remove and discard the tough outer layer. Wash the lemongrass heart and finely grate with a microplane.
For the lime leaf, cut out and discard the spine, and mince the leaf very fine.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the ginger, lemongrass, lime leaf, fish sauce, agave, lime juice, hazelnut oil, olive oil, and salt, and whisk to incorporate.
For the fish
Pre-heat a sauté pan over high heat. Pat the fish fillets with paper towels until very dry. Sprinkle salt and freshly ground black pepper on both sides.
Add oil to the pan and swirl to coat the surface. When oil just begins to smoke, lay the fillets in the pan and press gently for good surface contact. Allow to cook 3-4 minutes until golden brown, then flip and cook another 2-3 minutes or until just cooked through. Transfer fish to a resting plate and hold warm.
In a large salad mixing bowl, toss together the leaf lettuce, apple, carrot, bell pepper, cabbage, onion, jalapeño, and fish sauce vinaigrette.
Break the cooked fish apart into large chunks and add to the mixing bowl. Add the crispy rice as well, and give the salad another gentle toss.
Split the salad evenly across 4 shallow bowls. Garnish with the crushed peanuts and chopped fresh herbs.